Last night, on a call organised by the Irish Green Party organised for its members, we listened to Ukranian politician Mariya Ionova speak to us from Kyiv.
She was obviously exhaused and cold and said she had not slept in 48 hours. Some quick points I noted.
- They need a ceasefire so that they can evacuate people
- Bodies on the streets that they can’t recover as its too dangerous
- They want help to control the airspace.
- They need action. Time is of the essence.
- Stop being afraid of Putin. Stop him.
- What’s more important for you. European values or gas prices in Europe.
- There was mention of worry about nuclear facilities. And this morning we know why.
Before the call ended Mariya had to leave due to a warning siren.
I found it very distressing. I understand the possible the conseqences of a no fly zone. I also feel that history shows us that the longer we wait to confront terror, the greater the ultimate cost will be to us all.